Nominations are now open for the 2019 RAEng Engineers Trust Young Engineer of the Year
Posted on 21/01/2019 by IED
A £3,000 prize for early career UK engineers, supported by the Worshipful Company of Engineers
Nominations are invited for the RAEng Engineers Trust Young Engineer of the Year and the Sir George Macfarlane Medal.
With the support of the Worshipful Company of Engineers, the Academy will be making five awards of £3,000 each year to UK* engineers in full time higher education, research or industrial employment, who have demonstrated excellence in the early stage of their career (defined as ten years or less since graduation from their first degree in engineering or equivalent qualification on the day of the submission deadline). The Academy aspires to recognise excellence in both academia and industry
*By ‘UK’ we mean engineers who are either UK citizens or working in the UK for a period of not less than three years immediately before the year of awarding the prize.
From these five awardees, the Academy’s Awards Committee will select an overall winner who, in addition to his / her cash award, will receive the Academy’s Sir George Macfarlane Medal.
Excellence may be demonstrated in a number of ways including, but not restricted to, individuals who have:
- Shown outstanding flair in promoting engineering in schools or groups or leadership of initiatives regionally
- Published work of significance that has attracted national and / or international attention evidenced by press or other citation
- Exhibited outstanding productivity in creativity evidenced by patents or designs.
- Made a demonstrable and significant contribution to the commercial success of a project / company
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership of a project or team within their company
There is no restriction on the engineering discipline of the individual.
The prizes will be awarded annually. The prizes will not be awarded if in any year the Academy so decides.
Submissions must give the following information:
- Particulars of the nominee.
- Citation of not more than 500 words.
- Curriculum vitae of not more than two pages
- Letters of support from two referees (not including the nominator and at least one from outside the nominee's organisation). Letters of support should:
o State your relationship to the nominee; include your title or position if applicable.
o Explain your reasons for supporting the nominee in the body of the letter.
o Make specific examples of how you believe the nominee has met the criteria of the award.
o Convey enthusiasm for their work.
o Be unique and written from the point of view of your association with the nominee.
o Printed on organisational letterhead, if applicable.
Self-nominations are not accepted, however, if you are interested in this award but do not know of anyone to nominate you please contact the Academy.
Only completed nominations will be considered. Please ensure that the nomination form is complete with CV and letters of support at the time of submission.
Each nominator can submit no more than three nominations in any one year for the award.
Submissions will be accepted in January 2019.
The Academy is committed to diversity and welcomes nominations and nominees from women and other groups who are currently under-represented across engineering, as well as recognising the full breadth of engineering.
Please direct any queries with respect to your nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 020 7766 0607.